Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I'm so excited! Can you tell? In April I get to bake and decorate a cake. I'm about beside myself happy with the prospect. I really enjoy decorating cakes. It's nearly as much fun as quilting. Baking and decorating cakes was just as much of a passion for me as quilting is now. Finding just the right recipe, figuring out the perfect colors, watching the design develop as I worked.

About 12 years ago I found a book called Great Cakes by Carole Walters that just changed my baking life! Her recipes are simple and Carole explains the process so well. Like the King Arthur Flour Cookbook she explains what's happening and why this temperature or that fat or chocolate should be used in this particular recipe. The first cake I made from the book just threw me for a loop! The batter was thick and rich and I was freaking out. I'd used cake mixes to make cakes all my life and just though all cake batter should be a runny sloppy mess.

Her basic yellow cake and Devils Food became two of my absolute favorites. I'm not sure which one I'll need however I might choose both and offer a choice, since some folks are allergic to chocolate and some just prefer vanilla. The Devils Food Cake recipe is great for making whoopie pies and devil dogs! Oh man, do they remind me of Maine.

The neat thing is that this cake is for a woman in our guild who is turning 90. Every month she makes and presents a quilt to the guild for one of our charities. She's just amazing and I'm honored to make this cake for her. If I can find the photos I'll scan them in and show off some of my cake decorating later today or tomorrow.

Happy Quilting!
Teri

1 comment:

Dawn-Marie said...

I love looking at cake pictures. I used to love decorating as well but then what to do with the cakes after.LOL

Can't wait to see the pictures! Oh and when are you gonna finish your binding post? Tap tap tap